Health Fund

The Health Fund assists retired clergy in the Anglican Church in Aotearoa, New Zealand and Polynesia (and their spouses who are not in fulltime employment and dependent children) with the cost of certain medical costs.

Am I eligible to access the Fund?


You are eligible to apply to the Health Fund if you are an Anglican clergyperson residing in Aotearoa New Zealand or a country within the Diocese of Polynesia who:

  • has retired from stipendiary ministry, is receiving a pension from the Pension Fund, and either holds a Bishop’s licence or permission to officiate or held one at the time of your retirement


  • is not a member of the Pension Fund, aged 65 or older, not in fulltime paid or stipended work and holds a Bishop’s licence or permission to officiate.

Clergy widows and widowers

You are eligible to apply to the Health Fund if you are the surviving spouse of a deceased Anglican clergyperson who was eligible for assistance from the Health Fund and you are residing in Aotearoa New Zealand or a country within the Diocese of Polynesia.

How do I apply?

If you want to seek assistance from the Health Fund, you need to complete an application form. Send the completed form to us, along with proof of the cost of your treatment (e.g. receipt, invoice).

What costs can I get help with?

You can receive a grant for 80% of the claimable cost of each eligible treatment category, up to specified limits. Only individual treatments which cost $200 or more can be claimed.

The eligible treatment categories and limits are:

Category Limit
Angiography and angioplasty $4,000 per year
CT, MRI and PET scans $1,000 per year
Dental treatment and dentures $750 per year
Endoscopy procedures $1,200 per year
Hospitalisation (non surgical) $1,300 per year
Imaging procedures $700 per year
Minor procedures $700 per year
Oncology treatments $1,100 per year
Specialist consultations $700 per year
Surgery $3,500 per year
Optometry $700 every two years
Hearing aids $3,500 every three years


More information is available in the Grants Schedule.

What costs can't I claim for?

You cannot apply for treatment costs that are not covered in the Grants Schedule. Excluded treatments include:

  • Any individual treatment that costs less than $200
  • General Practitioner (GP) consultation fee
  • Prescription charges
  • Physiotherapy
  • Services of a psychologist or counsellor
  • Treatments for which the cost is recoverable from ACC, a Health Insurance Policy or other sources
  • Treatments from persons other than those registered with the Medical Council of New Zealand or equivalent in the Diocese of Polynesia (e.g. podiatry, homeopathy, chiropractic treatments)
Can I claim for my spouse?

You can apply for the costs incurred by your spouse if they are not in fulltime employment. Your spouse has the same entitlements as you and the grants are separate to yours. You can both claim under each eligible treatment category, up to the specified limits.

What do I have to contribute?

You do not have to pay an annual contribution or a premium to the Health Fund. However, you will need to pay for that part of the cost not paid for by the Health Fund.

How much time do I have to make an application?

You must send your application within six months of the date of treatment.

What if I have a pre-existing medical condition?

You can apply for assistance with costs relating to an existing medical condition provided the claim falls within the eligible treatment categories.

What happens if I have medical insurance?

If you have medical insurance you must make a claim to the medical insurer in the first instance. After all, you have paid premiums for the coverage. You can make a claim to the Health Fund for any costs not paid by your medical insurer if they meet the Health Fund conditions.

Can I get help for costs which occurred while I was overseas?

You cannot make a claim for medical treatments which occurred outside the country you live in (Aotearoa New Zealand or one of the countries within the Diocese of Polynesia). If you are traveling overseas, we strongly recommend that you take out travel insurance.

What if I can't afford to pay my share of the costs?

If you are struggling to pay the costs not met by the Health Fund then you could apply to the Welfare Fund for help.

The Welfare Fund is means-tested so you will need to provide personal financial information as part of the application.